locality n : a surrounding or nearby region; "the plane crashed in the vicinity of Asheville"; "it is a rugged locality"; "he always blames someone else in the immediate neighborhood"; "I will drop in on you the next time I am in this neck of the woods" [syn: vicinity, neighborhood, neighbourhood, neck of the woods]
EtymologyFrom Latin localitas.
Locality is a term associated with a place or Location (geography) but may also refer to:
- Locality of reference in computer science, which describes how programs typically access data
- Principle of locality in physics
- Locality (statistics) in statistics
- Locality (linguistics) in linguistics
- The official English translation of "tätort", the term for an urban area in Sweden
- Suburbs and localities (Australia), a geographic division in rural areas used for addresses.
abode, area, bailiwick, bearings, belt, bench mark, district, domain, emplacement, field, habitat, haunt, hole, home, latitude and longitude, lieu, locale, located, location, locus, native environment, neighborhood, pinpoint, place, placed, placement, point, position, positioned, province, range, region, section, sector, set, site, situate, situation, situs, sphere, spot, stamping ground, stead, territory, tract, vicinage, vicinity, whereabout, whereabouts, zone